- Asia Argento was one of the first people to blow the whistle on Harvey Weinstein’s sexual assault cases. When she gave a speech at Cannes Film Festival in May, she came out as a victim of Weinstein’s and asked other victims to step forward. This was seen as a turning point for the #MeToo movement and led to the destruction of the careers of many abusers (Kevin Spacey, Louis CK, Matt Lauer etc.). This week, the New York Times came out with a report that Argento had sex with actor Jimmy Bennett when he was a minor – meaning that the sex was not consensual. She paid Bennett to keep the story quite. And who set up the hush payment? Argento’s late partner Anthony Bourdain.
- The founder of the #metoo movement said that this case should not discredit the movement and that there is no model survivor.
- A category 5 storm is headed for Hawaii.
- Uber plans to go public next year. They made the first step towards an IPO by hiring veteran Wall Street exec Nelson Chai as CFO.
- Trump went on twitter to applaud Manafort for not “breaking” by accusing the President of any wrongdoing. On the other hand, Trump also tweeted “If anyone is looking for a good lawyer, I would strongly suggest that you don’t retain the services of Michael Cohen!”
- Many theorize that Manafort is not spilling the beans about his work with the President because if he gets sent to prison he may get a presidential pardon.
- The author of Crazy Rich Asians dodged mandatory military service in Singapore.
- Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer has suspended 3 games without pay after mishandling domestic assault rumors around one of his assistant coaches.
- TMZ has more on the Argento story: http://www.tmz.com/2018/08/22/asia-argento-17-year-old-boy-in-bed-photo-sex-texts/
- Actor, singer, and meme Stefan Karl died today. He said “”Follow your dreams and know that death is nothing, life is everything.”
What is Hey Hank Headlines?
Hank and his team read all the top stories so you don’t have to. They divide the stories into four categories and write headlines on what you need to know.